It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Grumblin', mumblin' and giving thanks

Several weeks ago I was sitting at my desk stuffing letters into envelopes for one of the guys who wanted to do a massive mail out and his assistant was swamped, and I was really complaining to myself about how bored I was and how stupid my job is, etc etc. I've let myself fall into this trap of whining to myself while I'm at work and playing the "I'd rather be..." game with myself. You know the game, I'd rather be home cleaning and organizing my house than here doing this or I'd rather be home working in my yard enjoying the pretty weather. Or on those rainy winter days, I'd rather be home in my sewing room making quilts. Anything but sitting here at this desk, doing boring work that amounts to nothing at the end of the day.

So, there I was stuffing envelopes and grumbling to myself. Then this thought just popped into my head, out of the blue I heard the words, "in all things give thanks". And I knew it was God's gentle way of dealing with my complaining. Just those simple words, nothing else, but it was all I needed. Suddenly those envelopes weren't so bad as I thought of how thankful I was that I had a job, that I was healthy and able to do the job. I thought of the really nice people in my office and especially the very dear friend that I was helping out with the envelope stuffing and I was thankful.

I've thought of those words a lot lately, every time I start to play the "I'd rather be..." game and every time I start to mumble and grumble. I decided to put the full verse at the end of the blog page, just to share it and to remind myself to give thanks in all the things I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment