It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Friday, May 22, 2015

Friday Fives 05.22.2015

Here's tonight's version of 5 things for which I am thankful.  In truth, there are many more.

1.  I'm thankful for cats that appear from nowhere and greet me when I go places.  At first I would marvel when I would go somewhere and a little cat would walk up.  It is still a remarkable event, though not totally a surprise anymore.  This little calico found Jaydon and me feeding the turtles on a recent trip to the Botanical Garden.  She was very sweet and affectionate, then walked off as if to say, "okay I'm done". 

2.  I'm thankful for things that make me smile, like the Landry's sign in the last post.  Today, driving home from a night in Comfort I passed a motor home pulling a small pick up truck.  On the back of the pick up was a magnetic sign that read, "Be patient with me I'm pushing a large motor home". Did that make you smile?

3.  I'm thankful for deciding to take a non-freeway route to Comfort yesterday.  The drive was a winding,  twisting roller coaster 2-lane road through the Texas Hill Country.  I had never driven the route before and although it was a slow drive it was very pleasant.  All the rain we've had has caused the little creeks to flow beautifully and the grass is greener than ever.  Unfortunately there was no place to pull over to make pictures and I knew better than to pull into the grass as the ground is very soft!  The unknown road proved to be a gift to me and I am thankful.

4.  I'm thankful for old buildings and the stories they sometimes tell us today.  I'm thankful for those who loving preserve these treasures to share for future generations.  The walls that surrounded me last night were those that had sheltered stage coach passengers long, long ago when Comfort was a stage stop.  As I fell asleep I thought about the weary travelers who had slept there after a day of being tossed around in a rickety coach.  I was thankful for my car with leather seats, shock absorbers, and air-conditioning!

5.  Having spent two nights on the coast I have to say that I am thankful for the gift of the sea.  It's surface waves that never cease fascinate me and sooth me at the same time.  The vastness of the water and the thought of far away places intrigue me.  The mysteries below the water are endless, like the stars that I saw briefly on my last night there.  The fish to be caught and eaten and all swimming creatures are things for which I give thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment