It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Friday, May 8, 2015

Friday Fives 05.08.2015

Several years ago I had a paper day planner that each day featured a quote from someone relatively well-known.  One day the quote was from Oprah and she stated that she kept a gratitude journal and each day wrote down 5 things she was grateful for on that day.  Not a bad idea, I thought.  I didn't keep a written journal, but I did try to start thinking of 5 things each day. Not hard as I found I could quickly name many things.  I began to use this trick when grumpy, upset or just out of sorts.  Thinking of the many things I had to be thankful always lifted my spirits.  This worked at bedtime, too, if I was exhausted and not happy how the day had gone. Only recently did I find that Sarah Ban Breathnach was the one who started Oprah on her gratitude journal.

From time to time I've written a 5 things post on this blog.  I did one last Friday; it felt so good to write those words that I decided to try (try) to do a regular Friday Fives post.  It won't be hard, let me assure you! 

 So, here's tonight's 5 things I'm thankful for:

1.  I am thankful that I have no needs.  I have everything I need.  Maybe not everything I want, but thanks to God my needs are supplied.  I lack for nothing and for that I am deeply grateful.

2.  I am thankful for small flowers whose daintiness enchant me.  So small, so fragile, yet perfect.

3.  I am thankful for books to read.  Books on my shelves, books on tables, books on library shelves, books on the internet.  Books to be read, books to be treasured, books I have read and will read again.  I'm thankful for the hands that write books and for the gift of words that weave stories and information in printed form.  I'm thankful for decent eyesight and the ability to read, too.

4.  I'm thankful for clean, pure water that flows from the tap when I turn it on.  We take it for granted, but there are those who do not have water in any decent form.  I'm thankful for electricity that makes my life so easy and the natural gas that heats my home in the winter.  These are things we take for granted, but for which I give thanks.

5.  I'm thankful for grandparents.  How fortunate I was to have spent time with all 4 of mine even though we lived so far away.  I'm thankful for the memories they unknowingly gave me.  I'm thankful for the influence they had on me as a child and for the fact that as an older adult I now know that they shaped me into the person I am.

Take a moment and think of 5 things tonight for which you are thankful.  Gratitude is good for the spirit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment