It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Tuesday, July 27, 2010

No electricity!

We had a whopper of a thunderstorm last night. I had grilled a little supper and the pups and I dined outside. We had just finished when the thunder started rolling. I sat outside for as long as I dared and we went in just before the storm hit. I love the way it smells (ozone is it?) when it starts lightening. It was pouring rain and the wind was whipping the trees and rolling trash cans, too! I was going from window to window and out in the garage to watch, like I had never seen a storm, but I love it! About an hour into the storm I lost power, zap and it was dark.

I never appreciate electricity until it is gone. I had none for 6 hours and it was so strange. When the kids were small and our power went out I would light the oil burning lamps and we would play Monopoly. But I had no one to play with so I lit oil lamps and candles and walked around for a while trying to figure out what I could do. There was total silence in the house, no noise. It was fairly dark and the air was still. Funny that those ceiling fans don't work without electricity. In fact there isn't anything that really works without electricity! So I listened to music on my Zune and played some of the lame games on it and then went to bed. I opened a window but that didn't do much good to cool the room.

At 2 a.m. I got up to get a drink (and considered getting in the car and driving around to cool off). As I stepped out of bed, click, the light came on and the air conditioner kicked in. What a beautiful sound - an air conditioner running. I just take everything for granted sometimes, and having to do with out is a real reality check!

1 comment:

  1. Eek! When Hurricane Ike hit Houston, our neighborhood only lost power for 8 hours, but a lot of surrounding neighborhoods didn't have power for days. Some teachers we work with didn't have it for weeks!! I couldn't imagine. I was bored out of my mind for just those 8 hours, and I was sleeping for about 4 of those. Glad you got your power back!

    ReplyDelete