It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Maine, Day 2

Day 2 (Tuesday) of my trip was the longest-we left the hotel at 9:15 a.m. and returned at 10 p.m. Warning: this is a long post.



We first visited the Portland Head Light (house) where the battery light on my camera started flashing low but I managed to get a few pictures. This was a quick stop and we were back on the bus. Two hours later we were touring around Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. I purchased a disposable camera and then I ate lunch at a place called Allison's after I saw the sign that the Food Channel would be there on Saturday for a cook off with another local place. I had excellent clam chowder and a crab salad sandwich which was delicious-hope they won the cook off. There were so many shops, lots of artists and art related work, but our time was short.


After another ride we were at Knights Quilt Shop, very charming. From there we went to the Atlantic Ocean for a quick walk. We were in awe at the flowers, and I couldn't believe how fresh the air was (and how different the Atlantic is from the Gulf of Mexico!). Then we were back on the bus and driving again. After a quick stop at the Nubble Light House we were then on our way to Foster's for our lobster bake. And, yes, with some coaching I dissected my own lobster. I don't know if I would do it again, but at least I can say I did it! I also managed to drink about half of a Shipyard beer (made locally and not too bad) so I could really say I experienced New England. It was a long day with a lot of bus riding, but we saw a lot of Maine and had a good time, too.
Houses and resorts along the Atlantic Ocean

Nubble Light House (only accessible via a basket suspended over water)


Roses growing along the Atlantic Ocean. Many were wild varieties with nasty thorns!







1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures from the northeast. It is so beautiful up there!

    ReplyDelete