It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Monday, March 17, 2014

Spring 2014 Road Trip - Day 3

This morning I opted for a late start, although part of the delay was due to talking to the boss on the phone for a while!  After filling the car at a Race Track station I went inside to look for a map.  Success!  While it was not as detailed as I would have liked, it was a map of Louisiana and that was what I wanted.

I headed over to Sorrento to The Cajun Village for my first stop.  Now, this is the disadvantage to not planning ahead:  if I had planned ahead I would have known that the shops are closed on Monday.  But I did stroll through the few that were open and enjoyed the grounds, even though the weather had turned cold and windy during the night.
 
 
The restaurant was open so I decided to have lunch there. Yes, this is lunch!  Freshly made, steaming hot beignets with a cup of coffee au lait.  It just doesn't get any better than this, trust me!

The afternoon was spent driving, but it was a pleasant drive.  I made a swing through St. Francisville with a note that this was a place to come back to and spend some time.  Charming homes and a darling historic district with shops enticed me to stop, but the temperature had dropped to 40 degrees and I did not have a jacket.  Plus, the afternoon was wearing on.  I drove down the Natchez Trace for a while, but abandoned that plan when I realized that at 50 miles an hour I would not get to Jackson for hours and hours.  But I'll be back.  I've always loved the trace, even in winter.
 
This picture does not capture the beauty of these trees, but they were a brilliant white that contrasted with the grey afternoon sky.  Sadly, I'm not sure what they are, but they are beautiful by themselves or in a grouping.  I also noticed some dogwoods in places even though I think it is a little early to be seeing them. 
 
Tonight I'm in Jackson and it just feels good to be here.  A nice Italian meal and wine completed day 3 of the road trip.

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I loved traveling with you. The Trace is our favorite way to travel when we're not in a hurry to get somewhere. Those trees are Bradford Pears, and they are truly glorious this time of year.

    I look forward to the rest of your travels.

    ReplyDelete