It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Wednesday 07.08.2015

I have always been intrigued by a building that is in the process of being moved.  In fact, my earliest memory of being fascinated with an old building was when I was about 7 or 8 years old and an old house in my Dad's home town was being cut in half and moved.  We were military and Daddy always subscribed to their home town papers so we could stay in touch. There was a picture of the cut in half house on the front page of the paper; I couldn't stop staring at it.  It was a large white house and as I remember it had columns. The questions poured forth from my young mouth until finally one of my parents told me to quit worrying about it that it was just an old house that was being moved.  

On our next visit to my grandparents' house when the adults began planning a little drive around the county I begged to go see the house that had been cut in half.  My grandmother was puzzled until Daddy called the house by name.  It was a little out of the way for that trip, but on another trip they relented and took me by the house.  At that time you could still see the line down the middle of the pediment and the front of the house.  The questions started again. I wanted to go back every visit!

So, when I saw this building raised up off the ground I had to park and walk back to make pictures even though I had no camera, only a cell phone.  Until a few months ago this building was well known because it leaned considerably.  And, yes, it was in use as a business!  The lean was a distinguishing feature. 

I'm not sure what is going on here now.  The building was straightened and was going to be moved into the nearby historic Pearl Brewery, but that had been blocked.  Then it was to be renovated, so I assume that this work is part of the renovation process.

So what was this leaning landmark?  It was built as a house in 1890 by a former brew master at the Pearl, Fritz Boehler.  Over the years it has served as a boarding house, general store, and a saloon.  The Liberty Bar, Boehler's Bar & Grill, and Minnie's Tavern and Rye House have called it home. I think that "Liberty Bar" is synonymous with this building; everyone always associated that name with the leaning building on Josephine Street!

I'm not sure what it's next phase of life will bring, but I'm watching.  In fact if I lived in that area I would probably be down there asking a million questions. To see a picture of the building before this renovation CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment