It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Watermelon

I just realized that watermelon is one of life's small simple things.  Why?  Well, it is one of those things that you either like or you absolutely do not.  I love it!

Jaydon and I had bought one at the farmers market on Saturday.  I had chilled it down and cut it on Sunday afternoon.  Jaydon watched me do it...I spread out newspaper on the breakfast table and took a "big ole knife" (as Jaydon commented) and cut it open.  Jaydon was impressed!  To me it was a simple thing, done many times before.  We cut it up and put in zip bags.  After everyone ate supper the boys each had a piece.  Cameron loves watermelon and I knew it would be a treat for him, and it was!  I sent a bag home with him for later snacking!

Tonight I ate a piece and was it good!  So cold, juicy and sweet.  As I ate it I couldn't help but think of so many watermelons I ate while growing up.  My grandfather had great big fingers (or so I thought as a child) and he knew just how to thump a melon to tell if it was ripe.  He was never wrong, either!  I especially remember how good those watermelons that had just been picked and chilled down tasted.  Was it the red dirt of Mississippi?  Not sure, but as I ate my piece tonight I decided that the sweet taste of watermelon is just one of life's small, simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment