It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Leftover from times gone by

Last weekend while at the dog show I noticed this antique fire engine sitting on the other side of a fence along the driveway that let into the Farm and Ranch Club where the show was held.  My curiosity was tweaked, so after I loaded Bentley's gear into the car we walked across the way to take a look.  It was just sitting there on a small concrete slab among some small bushes.  From a distance it had looked like a working, antique fire engine.  Once up close I could tell that it had seen better days. The tires were flat and the windshield broken, but other than a little rust it still was shiny and red.

It made me a little sad to see this once fine machine just sitting there wasting away.  In my imagination I could hear the wail of the siren (yes, the sirens were different on these machines and they wailed!) and see it racing down the street and around a corner to a fire.  I could also see it sitting grandly in a fire house, waiting for the alarm to sound.  Then I saw it in a parade, decorated with red, white, and blue bunting and the firemen riding along, enjoying the day.  I wondered how it came to be sitting in this field for passerby's to see and hoped that perhaps there are plans to restore it to its former glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment