It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Monday, December 2, 2013

Cooking up a storm

The cold weather last week got me in the cooking mood.  Preparing for Thanksgiving should have been enough to satisfy that urge to cook (and eat), but it seemed that I couldn't stop planning dishes and cooking.  The result is that now I have a nice supply of leftovers and haven't had to go to the grocery store in over a week (wonderful!).

I had an abundance of tomatoes harvested from the Children's Garden, so there was nothing to do but make a large pot of spaghetti sauce.  I love homemade spaghetti; it was a staple in our home when I was growing up.  I loved to come home from school and smell the aroma of the sauce that had been simmering that afternoon.  None of us ever tired of eating it over spaghetti or the occasional treat of lasagna.


While the sauce simmered I made a large pan of posole (hominy and corn with green chilies) for a potluck lunch. I made enough sauce to eat two meals and freeze several quart bags for future meals.


The only thing better than smelling the sauce cook is seeing it on my plate!
One of the Master Gardeners had told me that she adds chopped cabbage leaves to her soups and stews so there was nothing to do but try that out! Jaydon had a cabbage that wasn't quite ready to harvest that had big, beautiful leaves.  In addition to the cabbage leaves I threw in a few fresh green beans.  I browned the meat before putting it into the crock pot, letting it simmer for a few minutes to add additional tenderness.  Mmmm, so good on a cold night with fresh, hot cornbread.

Finally, there was Thanksgiving.  I always make cranberry bread for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning and have decided that it is just as easy to make two loaves as one so that's what I did. Cranberry meatballs, gratin potatoes, yeast rolls, a cheese ball to snack on, and a pumpkin pie for dessert accompanied the dishes that arrived with guests. More eating and more leftovers!

It is supposed to get cold again late this week.  I'm thinking about chili for starters and maybe a good hearty casserole, too.  I've got more tomatoes, cabbage, fresh onions, and broccoli.  Surely I can come up with something to make with those!



No comments:

Post a Comment