It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Reflection on recent simple things

I had last Friday and Monday off from work.  It was wonderful.  Two days off from work plus two days of weekend equals four days of opportunities for accomplishment and relaxation.  Looking back I know that the days were filled with simple things that truly brought peace and contentment to me.

Time for goblins to arrive
First, I took time to stop for a breakfast taco and cup of coffee on Friday morning.  It has been a long time since I just did a spur of the moment thing like that; I've been too entrenched in the routine of life to step out of the boundaries.  I sat outside on the restaurant's patio, under a table umbrella because it was drizzling.  The traffic was a little noisy, but I'm as much a city girl as a country girl so I didn't mind.  It was nice to just sit and think about....nothing.
Mums about to burst forth in fall color
I had time to spend with family in different ways.  Eating cinnamon toast with my daughter early Saturday morning before we headed to the Children's Garden. Working together in the garden was peaceful (the little gardener was on a Scout camp out so we gardened without him).  Cooking on Sunday afternoon.  A family meal shared together on Sunday night; the twins greeting me at the door with smiles on their faces.  Monday spent with Jaydon, just running errands and relaxing.

Parsley growing in a pot by the front door
Sunday was filled with rain, a slow rain.  In 24 hours we had just about an inch of rain, but it was a good, soaking rain.  Just what we needed.  So peaceful to watch. I felt replenished.

I made time (note that I didn't take time, I made time) to do some creative things.  I embroidered some towels, my first attempt at doing towels, that turned out just fine.  I sat on the deck and picked up an abandoned knitting project. I worked on those last two Christmas stockings I need to finish.  It felt good to know I was accomplishing something I wanted to do. 

Sweet basil
I spent some time working in the yard, re-building the retaining wall and seeing results.  Pulling out weeds, hoping the grass will cover in the spring. Mentally laying out landscape plans and making lists of things to do in the yard. A total distraction for me, mentally relaxing.


And, I took a nap with these little pals snuggled around me and on top of me (there was also a cat in our midst, no problem the more the cozier). 

Thank you, God, for all great and simple joys.  These moments are a gift from you, to be enjoyed and to be treasured. These blessings sustain me in the ups and downs of life.  Thank you for your love that surrounds me at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment