It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve

Here it is!  Christmas Eve!  I feel like it is really special because when I left my office at 4 p.m.  yesterday I knew that I did not have to go back to that place until January 3rd!  So not only is it Christmas, I'm officially on Christmas break! Yippee!  Now that I've announced that news, here is my more serious post:

Stephanie and I met up at church for the 6 p.m. Christmas Eve service tonight.  I think the Christmas Eve service is my favorite church service of the year.  For several years our church tried to experiment with the service and do different things.  I think the decision makers thought that the traditional way wasn't appealing to people, that we needed new, exciting things like guitars, drums, unusual musical instruments, reading odd things, and a message that really didn't have anything to do with Jesus' birth.  Needless to say, I don't think the new, creative services were a hit.  Tonight we had a traditional Christmas Eve service and it was wonderful!  We sang carols, read the scriptures about Jesus' birth, and lit candles to remind us that Christ is the light of the world.  We left the sanctuary singing "Joy to the World".  I can't think of a more beautiful, peaceful way to lead us into Christmas Day!

Twas the night before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment