It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Saturday, August 13, 2011

Spaghetti's Cooking!

I have a pot of spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove.  It smells heavenly!  I love the way spaghetti smells while it cooks just as much as I love the way it tastes.  I do not eat spaghetti in a restaurant, oh no.  I prefer homemade sauce, using my mother's recipe. 

My mother made the best sauce ever,  I loved to come home from school and smell the sauce (and many other things she cooked, too) simmering.  Mmmmm, so good.  She had gotten the recipe from the wife of one of my father's pilot training buddies.  We had met up with them again while we lived in California and I remember being invited to their home one evening for dinner and she served this wonderful spaghetti.  She shared the recipe with my mother and it became a family standard.

My mother made the sauce for special occasions as well as everyday.  I always asked for spaghetti on the days I had my braces tightened, as well as for birthdays.  When my mother would be out of town taking care of ailing parents she always left a pot of sauce in the refrigerator.  We would get several meals out of the pot, and it was during this time that I learned to use the sauce to make lasagna.

So tonight the sauce is simmering and I can hardly wait for it to be done.  I can't think of anything more peaceful that spending time in my sewing room, listening to classical music while enjoying the smell of spaghetti sauce simmering.  So as I leave here I'm headed to the sewing room to experience peace on earth.

Oh, and yesterday would have been my mother's 78th birthday.  So Happy Birthday, Mama and thank you for the legacy of your spaghetti sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment