It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Thursday, January 13, 2011

Seasons and stars in the sky

Ok, I didn't know what else to name this post but here is what I'm thinking.  We are having our week of winter right now.  It has been cold and cloudy all week, but it will start to warm up in a few days.  And we may have some more cold weather but we may not either.  Normally I just moan and groan during the winter.  The gray sky and leafless trees and brown grass (not to mention the cold weather) usually give me a "ugh" feeling.  I find myself thinking that I just can't wait for spring, can't wait to get outside, can't wait to see that first bluebonnet.  Can't wait to get out my sandals again.  But this year, even though I don't like the cold, I've been looking at winter a little differently.

After I took down the Christmas decorations I realized that I'm always looking forward to the next season, without really enjoying the current season. So this winter, I'm enjoying the season.  I see beauty in the monochromatic landscape, and I find comfort in those winter things I love (like wearing my sweaters and eating big bowls of soup).  I really sense that the earth is sleeping and will awake up soon, but I'm not quite ready for it to wake up,  I want to hit the snooze button a few more times! 

When I took the dogs out this evening for a "go potty" break I was surprised to look up and see stars!  After many days of cloudy skies it was a nice surprise to see the stars.  Another reminder that stars shining in the night sky are one of the small, simple things of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment