It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Wednesday 06.03.2015

Grape arbor behind Rowan Oak, William Faulkner's home
I made this picture 8 years ago this month and it is one of my favorites, partly because of the grapes and partly because of where it was made.  I spent time enjoying the grounds of William Faulkner's home that afternoon, but did not go inside the house (saving that for another visit).  I have his works on my to-read list someday as I don't think I ever read any of his writing. 

Two or three years before my father passed away he made a casual comment about William Faulkner and his crusty personality.  Later it dawned on me that judging from this comment that Daddy knew him and possibly had stood with the other men in front of the courthouse (as was the custom of that time to gather and share news) and spoken with him.  How odd that I never thought of Daddy as knowing William Faulkner even though the two men lived together in the same small town with residences only a few blocks from each other.  My father was not a literary man, yet he knew this Nobel Prize winning author very matter-of-factly.  Now I wish I had asked more questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment