It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Thursday, March 19, 2015

Happy Birthday, Uncle Moneybags!

Thanks to an article on cnbc.com I found out that today is Monopoly's 80th birthday!
According to the article Monopoly was "born" March 19, 1935, when Parker Brothers acquired the rights to the game from Charles Darrow. My memory was refreshed when the article pointed out that the game was based on actual streets and things related to Atlantic City, New Jersey.  Interestingly, the article recaps these places today and suggests new places that would take their place on the board game if it was re-created today.

I received my first game' the Christmas I was in the second grade.  I think it was a gift from Santa, but I had no idea what it was about.  I do remember having a rousing game in the living room of my Dad's parents house that year with adults and kids duking it out to negotiate property deals.  Monopoly is the only game I ever remember my Dad playing with us (he was quite involved in the game that night, what a wheeler-dealer he was!).  He shared later that he and his sister entertained themselves with prolonged games of Monopoly when they were growing up. I know they were very poor, but apparently they had a Monopoly game!

Happy Birthday, Monopoly!  Whether you are a board game or e-game, we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment