It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wednesday 09.24.2014

All Singers have a serial number that you can look up to determine their manufacture date.  I was surprised to learn that this lovely lady was made in 1904.  She either belonged to my maternal grandmother or her sister; at some unfortunate time the machines got switched.  My grandparents married in 1925 and didn't have much money; I'm sure this machine was bought used regardless of who it belonged to. If this was my grandmother's, then it is the machine I learned to sew on since my grandmother gave me my first lessons.

The top of the cabinet has been abused by some thoughtless relative that put a can of paint on top of it, but I keep it covered with a quilted table runner.  The belt for the treadle is broken, but if it was fixed this machine would still sew.  The light still comes on when you plug it in!

2 comments:

  1. A sphinx! Lovely machine. You can buy treadle belts online for not too terrible much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to go shopping and get one! I had no idea that were that easy to come by!

    ReplyDelete