It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Sunday, September 14, 2014

More thoughts about "Enchilada Red"

Even though the last post was lengthy, I find I have the need to keep writing.  After I went to bed last night and again this morning I kept thinking about what I had written, thinking that something wasn't right.  After Suzassippi left her comment (thank you, S.) I realized what I had missed and what was wrong.

First, I wasn't practicing understanding and missed the diversity concept when I wrote the post.  I do like modern architecture and always marvel at how the lines come together.  In fact, I can't think of any form of architecture that doesn't appeal to me.  There is beauty in each style and details to examine on every building.  I think if the Enchilada Red library had been built on one of the numerous parking lots (or all too numerous abandoned car dealerships we have) I would find it interesting, if not humorous with its color.  I honestly think what irritates me all these years later is that they tore down the lovely old Sears store and told everyone that opposed that decision to get over it.  The truth is that the store was demolished and now we do have a very large repository for the main collections of our great public library.  The building is a landmark in one way or another!

Instead of cursing the darkness I need to light the candle (I love that expression!) and will communicate with the library about my problems finding anything as well as the lack of assistance.  All they need are a few signs and first-time visitors could easily direct themselves to the area they want to visit.  

Finally, the comment about the library being representative of the Hispanic heritage in San Antonio puzzles me, too.  It was made by Nelson Wolff who was our mayor at the time the library was built.  He was an excellent mayor and has served many years in various public servant positions and always exhibits sound leadership to our community; I have a lot of respect for him.  I'm not sure why he made that comment except in reference to the fact that Ricardo Legorreta was a Mexican citizen and the bright red color that was compared to the red tortilla that is a staple in Mexican food.  We do have many buildings that reflect the Hispanic heritage in our community.  As I mentioned there are many buildings that reflect the Spanish Colonial style of architecture as well as the Mission Revival style;  plus, many of the early buildings built using adobe bricks are still extant.  We certainly have a good representation of structures that reflect the Hispanic contribution to our city's culture.

So, to conclude this lengthy double post I do have to offer the following picture.  The bright enchilada red wall of the library is reflected in a door at the Southwest School of Art where most of the campus dates back to the 1850's.  Something old, something new.


3 comments:

  1. I did a bit of checking, and then re-read the article where the mayor called it the first building that reflected (in downtown) the Hispanic heritage. There was a modernist movement in Mexican, Spanish, and Latin American architecture, and Legorreta was deeply influenced by it and his work with Luis Barragan. I think you are right about the colors, which were also used not only in much of the Latin American and Mexican modernism, but also in the modernist murals of Mexican artists. Perhaps it was because it was downtown where most of the buildings were traditional or classical influence that it was seen as a move away from the European influence and toward embracing the Mexican side of the culture.

    At any rate, it has been interesting!

    ReplyDelete