It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Sunday, August 3, 2014

Saying Goodbye

Saying goodbye is never easy.  This week I had to say goodbye to one of my dear companions.

Baxter
2004-2014
Last Saturday morning I thought it was odd when I realized that Baster had not slept with me the night before.  He was a cuddler, snuggler and always slept close to me.  He was puny on Saturday, but I honestly thought it was just one of those cat things that I've experienced with them where they lay around for a day or two and then get up and decide that they are fine and resume their normal lives.  By Monday morning he was very weak, so I loaded him in the carrier and dropped him off at my vet's office.  The diagnosis was that his kidney's weren't working and his body temperature was extremely low. I went by after work on Tuesday to see him;  while I talked to him and scratched his ears I could see his lips silently moving in a "mew".  I left, dreading the decision that I thought I would have to make on Wednesday.

I came home, teary eyed and just prayed for him.  Silly as it sounds, I prayed for Baxter that he would slip quietly from this life during the night.  Maybe I was selfish because I didn't want to have to say the words to put him down and then hold him in his final minutes of life.  I just couldn't face doing that to my big kitty-boy that I had loved so much.  God was good.  As I was calling the vet at 7:10 Wednesday morning he was calling me.  Baxter was slipping away and had only minutes to live.  Baxter went quietly, although not with me and I was spared the gut wrenching decision.  I am thankful.
Baxter (on left) and Mitzie
Bax and his litter mate, Mitzie, had come to me as tiny kittens.  Their feral cat mother had ended up in the backyard of friends from church that live not too far from me.  We still laugh about how surprised everyone was, myself included, when I went over to look at the kittens and said, "I'll take the two little creams" (I already had two cats at the time).  They were totally wild and it took some work to calm them down and tame them, but it was worth it.  I've had 10 wonderful years of companionship with them. 
Baxter spent most of his time sleeping on my bed, day and night.  Sweet Dreams, Big boy!

3 comments:

  1. I know that feeling too well, Beth. I am glad you were spared the decision, and glad Baxter had you for those years. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate loosing my animals. I get very VERY attached, always have and always will. I'm very unapologetic about this. So sorry for your loss and blessing for you and your sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete