It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Saturday, April 27, 2013

Solitude

I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.”
Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Solitude is good company, isn't it?  I think so.  I treasure my solitude, my time alone is precious to me.  It always has been, even as a child.  It didn't matter if my friends were around or not, I was perfectly happy playing by myself.  As an adult, I feel the same way, although I have to note that too much solitude is not good either.  I need solitude, but I need people, too.

Sometime after I got Sawyer and Blossom I developed the habit of going outside with them every morning and drinking a cup (or two) of coffee. This is one of the things that having dogs changed about my life!  Weather permiting, we do this every morning.  Sometimes it is still dark, sometimes the dawn begins while I sit on the old glider, on the weekends it is already daylight and the sun is rising.  It is a quiet time and although I'm usually not fully awake, it is a peaceful way to start my day. A little solitude in the morning goes a long way to get me through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment