It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Thursday, April 18, 2013

Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

A few weeks ago at an art show I saw a sign that said, "Nothing is certain" and then continued on with a saying or something.  I didn't take time to stop and read the sign, but thought to myself that that was the truth.  I rolled those words around for awhile in my salad-spinner brain.  We live in the present moment, unable to go back in time, but not knowing what the next second will bring to our lives, or to our world.

Monday afternoon I walked into my manager's office.  Without taking his eyes off his television, he stated that there had been an explosion at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  Stunned, I stood there watching the chaos and the frenzied aftermath.  Last night the top story on the 10 o'clock news brought the news of another explosion, this one also killing people and injuring many more. Stunned, I sat and watched the rescue efforts. Today the pictures of the devastation told the story of last night's poweful fertilizer plant explosion.

I've thought back to other events that stunned.  I remembered standing in another office on a September morning watching the World Trade Center tower burning; it would be a long, numbing day.  I thought of the afternoon last December when news of a school shooting stunned all of us.  And the morning news of a shooting in a Colorado theatre some time before that.  Nothing is certain, is it?

Once again I've tried to sort it all out.  How can a loving God let these awful things happen?  Why do they have to happen?  Why can't we all just live in peace and consideration with one another?  I firmly believe there is a reason for everything that happens, everything.  I firmly believe that God is in control, but still why all the suffering?  I don't know.

This morning I read an article on Fox News that spoke to me so I share it here, if you want to read it . Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled  When I saw the article's title I thought of John 14:1. I had read it this morning in a devotion book.  It was for yesterday's reading, but I'm a day behind.  When I clicked on the article, it did feature that verse (imagine that, the Bible being quoted) and was a heart warming and encouraging article. 

No, nothing is certain in this world.  But we move on, stunned sometimes by what happens around us, always remembering that our hope lies in our faith.  Let not your heart be troubled.


No comments:

Post a Comment