It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Friday, June 8, 2012

The Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering,
Along the mountain track,
And as I go, I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

I remember singing that song as a kid, both in school and in scouts.  I always liked the tune, especially the ha-ha-ha part of the chorus.  I couldn't help but think of it this week.  I love to just get in the car and go out and spend time about wandering around.  In the past few years I haven't really had time to do much wandering, so to speak.  

Lately I've been reading blogs, probably too many but it has been slow at work so what else can I do to pass the time.  I like to read blogs about old buildings and restoration projects.  I enjoy the ones with scenic pictures and descriptions of little travels.  Reading the posts is like taking a little wandering internet tour through different places.  Now I'm anxious charge up the camera battery and head out some where and wander about in the real world.  I don't have a knapsack (aren't those an old fashioned back pack?) but I do have a small "freebie" drawstring back pack that I use when I take the dogs to the park.  I think I need to load it up and head out soon.

I couldn't remember the rest of the verses of the song, although I did remember there were several.  When I looked them up I was reminded that the name of the song was The Happy Wanderer!  And the last verse is really one I should memorize:

Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die!
Oh, may I always laugh and sing,
Beneath God's clear blue sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment