It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Sunday, April 17, 2011

Gammy House

Ok, here is another small, simple thing to add to the list...Gammy's house.  I don't know what it is about my house that makes Jaydon and Cameron love it.  I remember when Jaydon was probably about Cameron's age that his mommy called me one Saturday afternoon and asked if he could come over since he had been asking all day to go to Gammy's house.  He has always been in and out of my house and lived with me for quite a while when younger so this was not an odd request.  I remember when they arrived that I looked out the front door and saw Jaydon just standing there looking at my house with a loving, awestruck look!  I could tell that he was at peace since he was where he wanted to be, at his Gammy's house.

Cameron comes through the door when he visits and with encouragement, gives me a hug and then he gets busy playing.  He has a good time just hanging out.

Today Jaydon was lounging on my sofa and I asked him what his favorite place to go to was, expecting him to reply the Wildseed Farm or the Botanical Garden as he usually does.  Very thoughtfully, he answered, "Gammy House."

I couldn't figure it out for a while.  After all my house is nothing big or great and it is usually in some state of disarray. I can't think of anything that would attract children to this house.  And I certainly haven't done anything to attract them here.  But then  I remembered my Grandmother's house, especially my maternal grandmother's, and how I loved to be there.  When our car pulled into the driveway of that little country home I was totally at the center of God's universe and there was peace in my heart.  It was my Mamaw and Papaw's house and that's all there was to it.  I just hope that Jaydon and Cameron will someday have the memories that I have of those visits to my grandparent's house.  (Just for the record, my paternal grandparents were special too and I treasure my visits to their little house just outside the wonderful world of Ole Miss)

Just another small, simple thing...your Gammy's house!

No comments:

Post a Comment