It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Friday, May 14, 2010

Fresh Mowed Grass...and other smells

I just realized that it has been a while since I posted, time caught up with me!

Several nights ago I sat outside on the deck to eat supper while the pups played (this is becoming a routine with us now). It was such a pleasant evening and so nice to be outside. Early evening is my favorite time to be outside, too. I was enjoying the quiet, peaceful time. The birds were chirping and there was a nice breeze. Then my neighbor decided to mow his back yard and the noise of his lawn mower broke the peaceful spell. But it wasn't too long before the smell of freshly mowed grass reached me....how pleasant that smell is! I didn't mind the noise anymore as I enjoyed the freshness of the cut grass. What is it about freshly mowed grass that is so pleasing? I've never heard anyone say they don't like that smell. It just makes you say "Ahhhhh", doesn't it?

The next morning one of the guys in the office made some toast and the smell wafted through the office. Again, I noticed how pleasant the toasted bread smelled and I thought, "Ahhhhh". It is such a comforting smell, just like the grass.

So now I'm noticing smells - pleasant, peaceful smells. I've added to the list: rain, mountain laurel blossoms, roses, gardenias, frying onions, cooking garlic, and of course, frying bacon. I like to burn candles, and although they smell nice they just can't compare with a natural scent. Oh, I just thought of another smell, homemade spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment