It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Wednesday, May 15, 2013

One of life's lessons

Life is a learning process.  Once again, I've learned a lesson in a not so great manner. 

Since last July I had been working off a notebook computer. Its small size was ideal, easy to carry around and travel with or take to school.  I had gotten used to the small keyboard and the quirky mouse.  While the picture quality wasn't great, it wasn't bad either.  There wasn't a disk drive, but there was everything else.  I had Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 on it and I was content.  It served its purpose. I knew that I needed to replace the old, large laptop that ran very slowly, but wasn't in a hurry to do so since I had the notebook.

All that changed Sunday night when the notebook met its demise on my deck.  I had dropped it several times before and it had been knocked off the arm of the sofa a time or two.  As it fell I really didn't worry as I thought it to be pretty sturdy.  Or so I thought until I watched it smash into several pieces.  Uh-oh, it's a gonner! 

I now have a new, full size laptop with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 thanks to this little mishap.  Once again I've had to go through setting up everything like I want and I've had to learn where everything is on the new system.  Fortunately, the only data lost was all my e-mails.  I had been saving most everything else to a memory stick or an external hard drive, but did loose a few documents.  I had a few pictures on the notebook, but as far as I know they were all stored on the external hard drive.

This episode reminded me of the importance of backing up anything I might ever need to refer to again.  In addition, I realized that I need to print out any e-mail that I might need. I had been telling myself for some time that I needed to make sure that I had everything backed up on a storage device and on cd's, now I know that this is a necessity. 

Lesson learned:  back up, print, and, for pete's sake, don't let the computer jump out of your hands onto a hard surface!

No comments:

Post a Comment