It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Friday, October 26, 2012

A nice little surprise

Last spring I had dutifully planted a tomato plant in a pot in the small sunny part of my yard.  I would love to have a little vegetable garden but the shade of the trees that I dearly love prevents the garden.  So I plant herbs and a tomato in a pot in this little sunny spot on the side of the house.  Tomatoes grown in pots usually don't produce a lot of fruit but this year the plant gave me several nice tomatoes.  I kept the plant watered a little but knew the season was over.  Or so I thought. 

Several weeks ago we had a little rain.  I can see the tomato plant through the kitchen window and several days later I noticed that it had greened up and put out new growth.  That's nice, I thought.  I didn't expect a plant that had weathered the summer heat to make blooms and set fall fruit.  But that's exactly what it did. A few yellow blossoms appeared last week.  Today I was surprised to look out the window and see several small tomatoes. 
 
 
I'm not sure how big these will get, and it really doesn't matter.  What matters is that this was a nice, gentle surprise.  One of life's simple pleasures.  And, of course I had to touch the leaves after I made the picture and then enjoy that wonderful tomato smell, another simple pleasure!
 

1 comment: