It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Thursday, February 28, 2013

What's cookin'?


Several evenings ago as the dogs and I were finishing our walk we came around the corner of our street, on the home-stretch.  At that point we were greeted with the delicious smell of something cooking; mmmm I thought.  Whose house is that coming from I wondered.  It smelled so good!  I wished to myself that I could knock on the door and invite myself in!  I could tell that it was some kind of meat, probably being fried.  I wondered if it was country fried steak, one of my favorites that I haven’t had in ages!
As we walked along, enjoying the aroma of the frying meat, I then had the shocking thought that it was a week night and someone was actually cooking supper!  Really, do people still take time to cook on a week night I wondered?  And, then I realized that, yes, they do!  I remembered that I cooked every night for my family for many years; no matter what our evening activities I still put a meal on the table.   The idea of cooking a meal on a week night seems strange to me because now I live in the world of making a salad, reheating leftovers from the weekend, or putting a frozen what-ever in the microwave for my evening meal.  And, then, there’s the convenience of just picking up something up on the way home, too.  By this point we had left the smell of someone’s supper behind, but for a brief moment I had enjoyed the smell and the thought of the pleasantness of sitting down to eat a home cooked meal after a day of work.  Just one of the small, simple things of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment