It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Out into the sunshine

Close to noon today I walked out of the building to go to the ATM in the bank drive thru located next to our building.  As I walked out I had the feeling that I often have in the evening when I walk out after spending a long day in the office.  The fresh air and the light of day surprise me after a day of sitting in an office; ah, there is an outside world that I had forgotten.  I feel like I am seeing the outside world for the first time in a long, long time; I often think I've been a prisoner in a dark cave or cell and am walking back out into the real world.  I always marvel at the sky, the landscaping and the trees and wish that I could have been outside and enjoyed the day.  I usually wish that I had a job where I didn't always have to stay in an office.  Today I had to turn around and walk back into the building, regretfully. But just the walk to the ATM was enough time to refresh me and remind me that there is a real world outside of the office.

As I waited for my money to come out of the ATM the thought came to me that this experience is a lot like life.  Often we get too buried in our "cave" and forget to come out into the real world, the outside world, and take a look around and smell the fresh air.  Walking outside into the sunshine and fresh air is a simple way to put life back into perspective and put the darkness of the cave aside.  A walk around the block will always mentally and physically refresh your mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment