It is the small simple things of life that bring us peace.



Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Amaryllis

Christmas before last one of my co-workers gave each of us an amaryllis bulb.  We had fun starting them in the office and watching them sprout, bud and bloom.  We each had a different color.  After they faded I think most went in the trash, but I brought mine home and put it in a pot outside.  It made a nice plant during the summer and during the fall I thought about digging it up and letting rest but I just let it rest where it was, in the pot!  I covered up everything during the brutal freeze we had in early February, but, alas, when I uncovered everything a lot of plants were just gone.  The amaryllis was mush, so I cut it off and threw the top away.  It sprouted out again so I thought it would just make another nice, green plant that would grow in this pot during the summer.  Imagine my surprise when, on March 24th I just happened to notice this:

Oh my, that is a bloom.  A bloom?  Oh my!

This was how it looked on April 1st!

April 4th


April 5th

April 6th

April 6th-one open bloom, one half open and two buds so there is more to come!
 And, there are now two more sprouts in this pot, so next year I'm hoping to have more amaryllis.  One of life's simple things...watching a bud grow and bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment